Friday 18 February 2011

The Horse and His Boy by CS Lewis

I really don't know if there is anything else to say about this book that hasn't been said elsewhere and better.

It's the only of the Narnia books which is set wholly in Narnia and has nearly no involvement of any of the children from our world (and then, only late on, briefly, as grown-ups).

So I'll keep this short and say that I have always enjoyed it hugely and this time was no exception. The story is a tried and tested one: boy discovers that he's a foundling and runs away from his abusive "father". On the way he meets a high-born girl running away from what, to her, is an undesirable marriage. Oh yes, and their horses can talk so they all decide to go to Narnia.

Along the way they have some fairly predictable adventures, and the book contains plenty of "spot Aslan" moments.

It sounds as thoughI don't like it, but I do love it. it's not the best of the series, but I also don't think it's the worst (that, for me, is The Magician's Nephew - which is next up)

No comments: