Saturday 5 March 2011

British History for Dummies by Sean Lang


I decided that I didn't know enough about British history so I looked around for something to fill the gap. This is the one I chose, being familiar with the Dummies books from my early days fighting with computers and Microsoft Windows.

It starts with the Ice age and finishes with Tony Blair and just about covers everything in between. There is a bit of Welsh, Scottish and Irish history thrown in which is a bit of a relief, but probably not enough. It's the type of book that is supposed to be dipped in and out of but I really wanted to read it from start to finish so I did.

Typically for the Dummies genre it dispenses knowledge in small chunks with lots of icons and sidebars to divide it up into bite-sized pieces. There isn't much of a discussion of the underlying causes of the events, but then it doesn't pretend to be an in-depth analysis of history - given the scope it covers if it did that it would have to be issued in several volumes. But as a starting point for historical facts it's a good one.

It threw up a few events and people that I'd like to investigate more. So... job done.

No comments: